Heather L. Stein, PsyD
2143 NE Broadway Street, #5
Portland, OR 97232
Fax: (610) 886-1749
24hr Phone: (503) 804-2736
Email: Heather Stein
Accepting new clients: No
Usual Office Hours: I see clients on the following days:
- Tuesdays 10am - 7pm
- Wednesdays 10am - 7pm
- Fridays 10am - 5pm
Office Settings: Private Practice (solo)
I have been licensed in Oregon since 1999, and have worked extensively with culturally diverse children, adolescents, adults, and their families for the past 25 years, conducting individual, group, couples, and family psychotherapy. I blend various methods of psychotherapy (humanistic/existential, cognitive-behavioral, systems, psychodynamic, and others) and mind-body approaches in a compassionate, safe, and respectful environment. By examining how past experiences shape current functioning, we can begin to explore new options. I help people to develop greater self-awareness, free themselves from limiting patterns, find comfort through self-acceptance, and discover the path to greater authenticity and fulfillment.
- Counseling adolescents and adults who struggle with anxiety, depression, post-traumatic stress, anger, intrusive negative thoughts, grief/loss, low self-esteem, distressing mood swings, sleep disturbance, social discomfort, work conflicts, obsessions/compulsions, and many other issues.
- Helping to identify and resolve conflicts within relationships and support strengthening communication, connection, and problem-solving skills, thereby enhancing understanding and intimacy.
- Gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender issues: exploring sexual & gender identity, lifestyle choices, and promoting family/community support.
- Providing parent education, coaching, and behavior management techniques to help reduce oppositional behavior, sibling conflicts, anxiety/phobias, and school difficulties. Supporting healthy adjustment to separation/divorce, adoption, or other transitions.
- Working through spiritual concerns and enhancing creativity.
- Providing support through life transitions as well as career adjustments and exploration.
- Helping to understand difficulties related to cultural or racial differences.
- Providing consultation to schools, agencies, and businesses.
- Adolescent 15-19
- Gay Couple
- Lesbian Couple
I am trained and certified in EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing) Levels I and II.
This therapist offers a discount for payment at the time of service when there is no requirement for billing or other financial paperwork.
The fee for the initial (intake) session is $185. Subsequent individual sessions are $170; couples and family sessions are $190. The fee for home visits is $175 to $200.
I do offer a sliding fee scale on a case-by-case basis. I also offer extended sessions for those who want the flexibility to go beyond the 50-minute therapy hour.
Education & Training
Highest Degree Earned: Doctor of Psychology (Psy.D.)
Discipline: Clinical Psychology
I received my B.A. in Organizational Psychology from the University of Pennsylvania in 1988. I received my Psy.D. in Clinical Psychology from The Chicago School of Professional Psychology in 1996. I have been licensed in Oregon since 1999.
I have worked extensively with culturally diverse children, adolescents, adults, and their families for almost 30 years, conducting individual, group, couples, and family psychotherapy in various clinical settings. I currently see clients ages 14 and older.
I am a member of the following organizations:
Oregon Psychological Association
American Mental Health Alliance-Oregon (served on the Board of Directors for seven years, and held Treasurer position)
The Greater Portland Area Association for Women in Psychology
WPATH (World Professional Association for Transgender Health)