Melissa Owens, LPC
1020 SW Taylor Street, Suite 730
Portland, OR 97205
fax: (503) 265-8137
24 hr phone: (503) 963-9332
Email: Melissa Owens LPC
Accepting new clients: Yes
Usual Office Hours:
Tuesdays through Fridays
Evening hours available
Please call me for a free initial 15 minute phone consultation. No additional charge for intake sessions. CoupleOffice Settings: Private Practice (solo)
Get unstuck; Strengthen communication, connections, relationships and boundaries; Free yourself from addiction, addictive relationships, compulsive behaviors; Heal emotional reactivity and stop hurting yourself and those you love.
Populations Served: Adolescent 15-19, Adult, Couple, Elders, Gay, Gay Couple, Lesbian, Lesbian Couple
- EMDRIA Level II training in EMDR
- I use DBT; EMDR; mind/body therapies (breath, awareness, movement, imagery)
- Kundalini Yoga as a healing practice
- Active Imagination
- Prolonged Exposure therapy.
- I teach Assertiveness Skills
I offer respectful confidential counseling to help you with the following issues:
- Get 'unstuck' with Brief Therapy;
- Build on strengths to make desired changes for personal transformation;
- Learn to listen and be heard, love and be loved;
- Free yourself from addiction, addictive relationships, compulsive behaviors, eating disorders, compulsive sexuality, shopping, internet addiction, obsessions;
- Work through grief, loss, abuse, illness, trauma, and difficult transitions;
- Prevent debilitating patterns of depression, unmanageable anxiety, or rage;
- Heal emotional reactivity and stop hurting yourself and those you love.
Skilled in DBT; Prolonged Exposure therapy; Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR); Somatic Experiencing; Ego-State therapies involving mind/body awareness using breath, movement and imagery; Jungian Active Imagination; Kundalini Yoga therapy.
Usual and Customary Fee: $125 per extended hour.s sessions are 75 minutes and the fee is $175. I am a volunteer provider with Returning Veterans Project; I do not provide a sliding scale otherwise.
Clinical Supervisor; Addictions and Mental Health Counselor in Adult Residential Program; ESL Teacher and Bilingual Education Coordinator; Women’s Resource Center Skills Trainer. MA Counseling Psychology with Addictions Specialty, Lewis & Clark College; Teacher Certification, University of Alaska; BA, University of California, San Diego.
Education & Training
Highest Degree Earned: MA
Discipline: Counseling Psychology
I have an MA in Counseling Psychology, Addictions Specialization, extensive successful experience working with a wide variety of mental health problems, and years of experience as clinical supervisor. I trained in DBT, body oriented psychotherapies, Gestalt therapy, Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR), Prolonged Exposure Therapy, and Kundalini Yoga. I worked for 7 years at De Paul Treatment Center, as Residential Counselor, then Clinical Supervisor. Prior to that, I taught and was Bilingual Coordinator in the Aleutian Islands, Alaska. Before that, I was Skills Trainer at the Women's Resource Center in Anchorage. I have a teachers education at University of Alaska, Anchorage and a BA in literature from UC San Diego.
Hospital and/or Teaching Affiliations:
- Formerly adjunct professor at Clark College in Vancouver WA
- Formerly Clinical Supervisor at De Paul Treatment Centers
Professional Affiliations / Activities
- American Mental Health Alliance - Oregon
- Oregon Counselors Association
- Oregon Mental Health Counselors Association
- American Counseling Association
- EMDR International Association
- EMDR Therapist Network
The Suspended Exhale
This article explains how your breath affects your emotions and thoughts
The Emerging Neuroscience of the Wandering Mind and Meditation
This article by Hsin-ya Chow and Sat Bir Singh deserves your attention.
New Clients Please Read and Complete the 5 Forms Below:
Personal Information & Emergency Medical Release
Client intake form, includes medical emergency provisions
My professional disclosure form as a .pdf file.
Oregon Modified National Privacy Form
A statement about your privacy rights in mental health care.
Acknowledgement of Professional Disclosure & Privacy Documents
Clients sign this to acknowledge they have received information about my practice and their privacy rights.
Informed Consent to Treatment Form
Also a .pdf file, for clients